If a verb + preposition, adjective + preposition, noun + preposition, or preposition alone is followed directly by a verb, the verb will always be in the gerund form. (Apabila verb + preposition, adjective + preposition, noun + preposition, atau preposition yang berdiri sendiri dan diikuti oleh sebuah kata kerja, maka kata kerja harus dalam bentuk gerund. (verb+ing).
The following list consists of verbs + preposition. (berikut adalah kata-kata kerja + preposition):
- approve of
- give up
- rely on
- worry about
- be better off
- insist on
- succeed in
- count on
- keep on
- think about
- depend on
- putt off
- think of
The following expressions cotain the preposition to. The word to in these expressions must notbe confused with the to in the infinitive. These verb + preposition expressions must also be followed by the gerund:
- object to
- look forward to
- confess to
Examples of sentences:
- John gave up smoking because of his doctor’s advice.
- Mary insisted on taking the bus instead of the plane.
- Fred confessed to stealing the jewels.
- We are not looking forward to going back to school.
- Henry is thinking of going to France in August.
- You would be better of leaving now instead of tomorrow.
More coming on my next posting…………