An embedded question is one which is included in a sentence or another question. (Yang disebut embedded questions adalah sebuah pertanyaan yang didalamnya sudah termasuk kalimat pertanyaan itu sendiri). Study the following rule:
subject + verb (phrase) + question word + subject + verb.
Note: There must not be an auxiliary between the question word and the subject in an embedded question. (Diantara kata tanya dan subject “tidak boleh” ada auxiliary).
Where will the meeting take place?
Why did the plane land at the wrong airport?
We haven’t ascertained where (Q.word) the meeting (subject) will take (verb phrase) place.
The authorities cannot figure out why (Q.word) the plane (subject) landed (verb) at the wrong airport.
The following rule applies if the embedded question is embedded in another question. (Rule yang berikut berlaku kalau embedded question berada dalam kalimat tanya).
auxiliary + subject + verb + question word + subject + verb
- Do you know where he went?
- Could you tell me what time it is?
Note: Question words can be single words or phrases. Phrases include whose + noun, how many, how much, how long, how often, what time and what kind.
- The professor didn’t know how many students would be in her afternoon class.
- I have no idea how long the interview will take.
- Do they know how often the bus runs at night?
- Can you tell me how far the museum is from the college?
- I’ll tell you what kind of ice cream tastes best.
- The teacher asked us whose book was on his desk.
Note: There is no change in the order of subject position questions because the question word is functioning as the subject. (Tidak ada perubahan dalam susunan kalimat karena kalimat tanya tersebut berfungsi sebagai subject.)
- Who will paint that picture? (Q)
- They can’t decide who will paint that picture. (EQ)
- Whose car is parked in the lot? (Q)
- The police can’t determine whose car is parked in the lot. (EQ).