Some verbs must always be followed by the gerund. These verbs include:
(Dalam pembentukan kalimat beberapa kata kerja berikut ini harus selalu diikuti oleh kt.kerja + ing — gerund) :
Examples of sentences:
- John admitted stealing the jewels.
- We enjoyed seeing them again after so many years.
- You shouldn’t risk entering that building in its present condition.
- Michael was considering buying a new car until the prices went up.
- The Coast Guard has reported seeing another ship in the Florida Straits.
- Would you mind not smoking in this office?
Please pay attention to some listed verbs – those in the sentences (admit, enjoy, risk, consider, report, mind) are followed by the gerund (stealing, seeing, entering, buying, seeing, smoking).
Note: These sentences are made negative by adding the negative particle NOT before the infinitive or gerund. (Untuk membentuk kalimat negative maka kata kerja tsb. hanya harus ditambahkan dengan partikel NOT).
- John decided not to buy the car.
- We regretted not going to the party last night.
If you find the following verbs then you can make your sentence(s) either followed by the infinitive or the gerund with no change in meaning. (Apabila anda menemui kata-kata kerja yang tersebut dibawah ini, maka kata-kata kerja dalam kalimat anda bisa diikuti baik oleh bentuk infinitive atau bentuk gerund).
John started to study after dinner Or: He started studying after dinner Joan hates to ride her bicycle to school Or: Joan hates riding her bicycle to school.
See you on my next posting…………